Monday 21 January 2013

Introductory Post



Dear World,

My name is Elizabeth Jewlal . This is not my first blog, however this is the first time I have approached blogging in an academic capacity.
A little about me, I am currently 19 years old in my 3rd year of the Honours Specialization in Art History. I have many interests in the realm of art history including but not limited to: Asian ceramics, Ancient Egyptian Sculpture, Gothic Architecture, Byzantine metalworking, frescoes in several cultures. I was initially in the Medical Sciences program at Western U and switched in my second year to pursue my passions. Intertwined with my love for art comes a passion for travel and new experiences. I enjoy trying new foods, speaking new languages and engaging with new cultures. I also enjoy photography on a very amateur level. I try to engage with subjects in many media such as photography and drawing or sculpture. 
I enjoy engaging with peers on many topics and look forward to working with my fellow classmates to explore the course work this term. The best way to explain who and what I’m about is visually so I will attach a selection of pictures for you to browse through.  These are some of the architectural marvels that inspire me to take this course.




This is the Church of Our Lady before Tyn found in the beautiful Czech capital of Prague. One of my favourite churches and the first time I was ever inspired to sketch a building!
               


The medieval remnants of the city wall in Tallinn, Estonia. I find that walls are often omitted when touring various places as they slowly become integrated into the modern architecture of the city. As a UNESCO World Heritage site, the medieval city of Tallinn has beautifully preserved and restored these features.





The final destination I would like to mention in this introductory blog is that which I was fortunate to view over the winter break. I had the chance to go to Mesoamerica and visit two sites, Tulum in Mexico and Altun-Ha in Belize.
This picture is of a portion of the wall surrounding Tulum. This section has been left unrestored which I found inspiring. I am envious of those who witness sites for the first time and this gave me a small glimpse of what that might be like.
Thank you for reading and viewing. Hope to hear from you in the future! I`ll leave a few more pictures for your enjoyment.




 Tulum and Altun-ha (face at bottom-right)





No comments:

Post a Comment